World Association of Marine Stations (WAMS)
The World’s leading Marine Station Networks have recently come together in a global initiative to create the World Association of Marine Stations.
Benefits will include:
- Integrated global response to climate change impacts on marine ecosystems, their sustainability and biodiversity.
- Increased focus on capacity building for marine research in developing nations.
- Global training and education programmes for young marine scientists.
- Joint development and harmonization of techniques and methods.
- Integrated research strategies, and increase knowledge on the science of MPAs
WAMS and IOC
WAMS is very interested to develop its activities in collaboration with the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO. The IOC delegates welcomed the WAMS initiative and several expressed their interest become involved in WAMS. We are very pleased with the positive response from the delegations attending the 26th session of the IOC Assembly. WAMS is an open and flexible organization and we welcome marine laboratories and institutes both large and small to join WAMS activities. We also welcome the opportunity to work more closely with IOC, in particular in connection with capacity building and concrete actions to:
- increase human potential in marine research and development
- increase opportunities for access to training and research mentoring programmes for young scientists worldwide
- increase sharing of experiences
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT
Professor Herman Hummel
Chair of MARS
Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
Tel: +31 (0)113 577484