The Carlo Heip Award in Marine Biodiversity was developed in recognition of Carlo Heip’s leadership in marine biodiversity research and founding of the World Conference of Marine Biodiversity. We seek nominations of individuals who have demonstrated exemplary leadership in marine biodiversity science.
- The 2018 award nomination cycle will begin on 1st March 2017 and close on 1st September 2017.
- Self-nominations are excluded. The nominator must ensure the nominee has approved to be nominated and the requirement to attend to WCMB.
- The award recipient will be expected to present a plenary talk at the World Conference on Marine Biodiversity in Montreal in May 2018. The recipient may choose the topic of the talk. The presentation of the award will take place in conjunction with the talk. The conference will cover the recipients travel to and from the conference, accommodation, and complimentary conference registration. Thus nominations must only be of people available to attend the WCMB.
- The recipient of the 2018 Carlo Heip Award will be chosen and notified in November 2017.
- Nominations should address these three evaluation criteria:
- Research impact. This may be supported by a list of selected top or all publications or link to Google Scholar profile.
- Peer recognition. This may be supported by indicators such as awards, honours, funding, and speaking invitations.
- Service. This may be supported by evidence such as meetings organised, teaching, leadership, editorial responsibilities, mentorship, public outreach.
- Nominations should be submitted to email@example.com by 1st September 2017. A sub-committee of the International Association of Biological Oceanography (IABO) will act as the jury for nominations.
- Nomination letter, responding to the three evaluation criteria within two pages and confirming the nominee is willing to attend WCMB IV.
- Nominee curriculum vitae documenting evidence in support of the criteria. This may include links to supporting materials.
- A nomination may include up to three letters of no more than one page each that provide additional support for the nomination. These are optional.