The Key Biodiversity Areas Partnership would like to draw your attention to the following Vacancy Announcement. Applications should be directed as indicated below.
With best wishes
IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas
Head of the Key Biodiversity Areas Secretariat
• Application deadline: Wednesday, 25. October 2017 – 23:45
• Location: Cambridge, UK
• Full time: 35 hours per week
• Contract: Open-ended
• Salary: £50,000 – £60,000 pro rata per annum plus competitive 12% pension benefit
• Annual Leave: 25 days pro rata per annum in year 1, increasing by 1 day pa to 28 days
A unique and exciting opportunity has been created to work with eleven of the world’s leading nature conservation organisations in an ambitious new Partnership to map, monitor and conserve the most important places for life on earth – Key Biodiversity Areas.
We are seeking an inspirational and collaborative individual to Head the KBA Secretariat – the newly established central coordinating body of the KBA Partnership and KBA Programme.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for ensuring that the KBA Secretariat fulfils all of its functions in line with the vision and mission of the KBA Partnership. We are looking for an exceptional individual who will lead and support the KBA Partnership to implement this visionary and ambitious Programme, helping to mobilise resources and expertise in order to further identify and map Key Biodiversity Areas worldwide, as a vital tool to assist in the conservation of global biodiversity.
The successful candidate will be responsible for setting up the Secretariat, leading on developing, planning and overseeing the implementation of its activities and managing its financial and human resources.
The successful candidate will have:
• An excellent understanding of global and regional environmental and sustainable development issues
• An inspirational and collaborative leadership style
• Experience of managing and facilitating teams and building partnerships around common agendas
• Extensive experience of working with major donors and successful fundraising track record
• Deep understanding of multilateral environmental agreements, international financial institutions, donors and scientific institutions working on biodiversity and nature conservation issues
• Ability to communicate environmental issues to a wide range of audiences
The Head of the KBA Secretariat will work in close collaboration with the Chair of the KBA Committee and the KBA-focused staff members of the KBA Partners, including in particular BirdLife International and the IUCN, as co-hosts of the KBA Secretariat.
This post is hosted by BirdLife International, on behalf of the KBA Partnership and the role is accountable to a Committee of senior management from KBA Partner organisations. The post will be based within the David Attenborough Building in Cambridge.
A detailed job description can be found here.
Further information on the KBA Partnership can be found here.
Closing date: 25 October 2017
Application: Applications should include a covering letter summarising the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and contact details of two referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity. Applications should be sent by email, stating where the advert was seen, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be held 15 November 2017 in the David Attenborough Building, Cambridge, UK. The interview panel will comprise the KBA Committee Chair; the Director of Science, Policy & Information, BirdLife International; the Global Director Biodiversity Conservation Group, IUCN; and the Head of Human Resources, BirdLife International.
Source: MARINE-B, the MArine Research Information NEtwork on Biodiversity